This Council is the executive and steering committee of the Faculty; it also acts as an advisory committee to the Dean of Faculty.
- The Council convenes at its own initiative, or at the request of the Dean of Faculty.
- The Council may consider any and all matters that relate to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, except for matters reserved to the Advisory Committee on Tenure, Promotion and Personnel and the Review Committee on Faculty Personnel Procedures.
- The Council, the Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of the College, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the Dean of University College in consultation establish the agenda for meetings of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
- The Council acts as the nominating committee for elective committees of Arts and Sciences and may appoint ad hoc committees for various purposes.
- The Council may make recommendations to the Dean of Faculty or the Faculty regarding changes in policy.
- The Chairperson of the Council regularly reports on its deliberations to the Faculty.
- All members of the Faculty are free to communicate with members of the Council about any matter, and the Council may solicit Faculty opinion on matters that come before it.
- The Council may, on the request of the Dean or on its own initiative, act in an advisory capacity to the Dean of Faculty on confidential matters.
- The Council consults with and advises the Dean of the College on all changes in existing policies and on new policies relating to the College.
- The Council acts as the deliberative agency of the Faculty on re-appointments of the Dean of Faculty and reports its findings to the Provost.
- The members of the Council serve as the Faculty's representatives on the Bilateral Committee of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, at such time as this Committee may meet to resolve differences in legislation passed by the Faculty and the Council of Students in different form.